Call for Nominations for 2018-19
The Water Resources Center (WRC) seeks nominations for speakers in the 2018-19 Headwaters Lecture Series. This newly launched series aims to bring field-shaping water scientists to the University of Minnesota to interact with our campus community. We seek scientists who are both internationally known in their field(s) and able to engage with an interdisciplinary audience.
The 2018-19 Headwaters Lectures will be integrated into the Twin Cities WRS Seminars, held from 3-4pm on Friday afternoons with a reception following. All lectures will be live-streamed with video archived on the WRC website. Feasible dates for Headwaters Lectures include September 28, October 5, October 26, November 2, March 15, and March 29.
Academic departments, institutes, or programs may propose to co-host a speaker. In a typical schedule, we expect that the co-host would organize the speaker's schedule for the day preceding the Headwaters Lecture (Thursday) for meetings and/or a specialized talk in that unit. The Friday schedule would be organized by the WRC with times for WRS students and WRC affiliates, followed by the public lecture and reception. Other scheduling arrangements will be considered, provided that the speaker is available for the Friday afternoon lecture. The WRC will cover up to $1,000 for each speaker with any additional costs to be covered by the co-host. Nominators are asked whether a co-host arrangement could be pursued if a speaker is selected. The WRC would follow up with the nominator and co-host unit to specify arrangements later.
To nominate a Headwaters Lecturer for 2018-19, please submit the items below to our online nomination form by May 11, 2018.
- Name, affiliation, contact information, and webpage of the nominee
- Brief explanation (150-200 words) of the nominee's credentials, potential lecture topic(s), and what their talk would bring to the interdisciplinary water community at the University of Minnesota
- Indication of whether a co-host arrangement would be pursued, and if so:
- Co-hosting unit and relevant contact (Head or seminar committee chair)
- Scheduling preferences or other pertinent information (optional)